The Australian Retirement Village Accreditation Scheme (ARVAS) will be the new exclusive accreditation scheme for retirement village and seniors housing operators.
ARVAS is co-owned by two organisations that represent the owners and operators of retirement villages and seniors housing: Property Council of Australia and Leading Age Services Australia (LASA).
ARVAS replaces two previous schemes, Lifemark and International Retirement Community Accreditation Scheme (IRCAS). The ARVAS Standards, currently in draft and published for industry consultation and feedback comprise seven quality areas:
• Standard 1 – Community Management – The Community is managed efficiently and effectively; the manager is a positive and proactive leader of the team with a strong customer service orientation.
• Standard 2 – Human Resource Management – Employment management practices ensure that the quality and quantity of staff are sufficient to meet operational needs.
• Standard 3 – Resident Entry and Exit – Processes for managing resident entry and exit are effective and focus on a positive resident experience.
• Standard 4 – Resident Engagement and Feedback – Engages residents effectively.
• Standard 5 – Environment, Services and Facilities – The environment, service and facilities are managed in accordance with contractual obligations and managed effectively.
• Standard 6 – Safety and Security – Processes for managing safety and security are effective.
• Standard 7 – Resident Care (where applicable) – Residents receive safe, high quality care consistent with their needs and preferences.