This alert follows an incident in NSW where a person receiving personal care from a disability services provider suffered severe burns (scalds) while being bathed and subsequently died from their injuries.
Providers must ensure there is clear oversight of staff, and that they receive appropriate education and training to safely provide personal care, such as bathing and/or showering.
Those providing direct care need to:
• always check the water temperature
• know the immediate response required to treat a scald/burn
• apply immediate and appropriate first aid treatment
• understand when to seek medical attention and/or seek emergency treatment.